Congratulations to my very good friends Edmund and Cat! They were recently engaged this past weekend and I can’t express how excited I am for them both. After having so many friends marry the past few years, it’s been just me and Becca this year planning our weddings, so I’d like to welcome Cat to the engaged status club. Although, I must tell her there is a HUGE advantage to having married friends, they can help answer all your questions (even the minuscule ones in the most amazing ways).
I hate to be the person that gives unsolicited advice, but wedding planning has given me such a different perspective…I can’t help but share.
So to my friends Ed and Cat….happy planning:
- Enjoy being engaged. I think we didn’t start planning until 4 months afterwards and Ricardo didn’t tell his co-workers until 1 year later. He’s very personal and private, so imagine my reaction when he kindly asked me to remove my ring on two occasions in case anyone noticed…the first time for his company holiday party and a second time out at lunch with his supervisor last year! I know, I know….wouldn’t you be so peeved? In fact…we went out to happy hour last weekend with his younger co-workers and they didn’t know we were engaged at all.
- It’s okay if you change your mind! I sent my Maid of Honor 5 dresses all at different times. If they’re your friend, I promise they won’t think you’re crazy! No big deal…you will see something else you like, change your mind and don’t feel bad about doing so. Coming from the most indecisive person I know, its hard to make decisions so it’s okay…totally not the end of the world.
- My biggest challenge? GROOM Involvement. I was irritated when he didn’t care and annoyed when he did. Go figure! I was a BIG…”what do you think of this, I need your opinion, but then I shoot you down” fanatic. He just won’t care about some things, so go ahead and run it by him once and then make the decision. Men are also such visual animals and I think they don’t really get the picture unless we lovely ladies take the time to show them. So I would narrow down my top choices and have him pick his favorite. There were many powerpoint presentation in our house. It does get a little overwhelming when it’s all you think about so for the sake of the groom, I try to restrain myself by having all things wedding completely consume me. I have a feeling Ed will CARE about everything 🙂
- Just brush it off…some people will be appalled by your decisions, or really LOVE them. It’s your wedding, your vision and ultimately your decision so stay firm on what you want and don’t let anyone tell you differently.
- Plan ahead…and you’ll feel less stressed or overwhelmed. My biggest gripe was starting a project and wanting to finish it right away so I was often exhausted staying up until 2 am the night before. But…we’re 80 days away, things have really come together and I can’t imagine anything we need frantically done. You know what they say…the early bird gets the worm.
- Watch Bridezilla and Platinum weddings WITH the GROOM. Then he’ll know you really aren’t that crazy and the flowers you budgeted for was on the low end of the scale…compared to the platinum brides of course.
- I’d like to think this will be the ONLY time I’ll ever have all this fun so enjoy EVERY moment. Make every aspect of it an experience and you’ll look back with no regrets!
Congratulations again to Ed and Cat…and I can’t wait to see you both in August! Happy Engagement!